Travel cards + tickets for the public transport in Barcelona
Overview and current prices (2018)
The entire public transport in Barcelona is organized in one fare system of the “Autoritat del Transport Metropolità” (ATM). This makes it much easier for passengers.
Whether single ticket, 10 jouney tickets (T-10) or travel card “Hola BCN” – here you will find current pricing & information. This will help you, to find the right ticket for your stay in Barcelona in a quick and easy way.
With our tips on finding & buying the right ticket for your purposes, you save time & money during your Barcelona trip.
1) Single Ticket
If you want to use the public transport occasionally
The classic single ticket is the right ticket for you, if you want to use the public transport rarely. With the single ticket you can e.g. take a ride on a TMB city bus or use the metro. The current price (2018) for the single ticket is EUR 2.20. You can buy it at the ticket vending machines.
Specific regulations of the single ticket in Barcelona:
– A single ticket entitles you NOT to ride on the Metro from/to the airport. For this ride you need an extra ticket “airport ticket” which cost 4.60 euros (one way) or 9.20 euros (round trip). Therefore, a lot of visitors buy the cheap day ticket “Hola BCN” (details see below). This ticket includes metro service between the city center and the airport. In addition, it offers unlimited travel in all Barcelona’s public transport services for the period of validity (2-5 days).
– Bus, metro and tram have different single tickets, which might be invalid in the other transport system. With the 10-tickets “T-10” or the travel card “Hola BCN” you can easily bypass this problem.
2) Travel card “Hola BCN” for 2-5 days: cheap & easy to use
Unlimted journeys on bus, metro, tram, commuter train + metro ride to / from airport
The travel card “Hola BCN” is very popular among visitors of the city, because it’s simple and comfortable to use. You don’t have to deal with the fare and ticketing systems of the 5 transport companies in Barcelona.
The “Hola BCN” card offers you unlimited journeys using the metro (subway), city buses (TMB), tram, regional railway (Rodalies de Catalunya, Zone 1), urban railway (FGC, zone 1) and the funicular railway (Funicular de Montjuïc).
– unlimited rides with just one single ticket for 2,3,4 or 5 consecutive days –
It’s issued directly by TMB, the operator of the city buses and the metro Barcelona.
“Hola BCN” card includes metro service travel between city center and the airport
Since february 2016, the Barcelona “El Prat” airport is connected to the metro network. With the “Hola BCN” travel card you can also do the airport transfer without any extra charge or additional ticket. So you don’t have to pay the 9.20 euros for the extra metro airport ticket (round trip).
Attention: regular “single tickets” or 10-tickets “T-10” are not valid for this ride!
Fares and prices of the “Hola BCN“ travel card (2018)
2 days: 15.00 euros
3 days: 22.00 euros
4 days: 28.50 euros
5 days: 35.00 euros
You can buy the „Hola BCN“ card before departure via this website without any extra charge. This may save time and stress.
Buying the “Hola BCN“ card – is it worth it?
For this little money the card offers you unlimited travel on the public transport in Barcelona.
It’s hard to find another major city in Europe, which offers a day ticket for this price. And the card even includes the metro airport line – so you save the 9 euros for the extra „airport ticket“.
By the way you don’t have to deal with the complicated fare system or queues in front of the ticket vending machines.
Save yourself time and stress, by buying the “Hola BCN“ travel card online – without any extra charge
This is not possible for single tickets, 10 journey ticket “T-10” or “T-Dia”.
Your benefits of online purchasing:
– You will not waste your holiday time in queues in front of the ticket vending machines.
– After a long flight, you don’t have to deal with fare systems and ticket vending machines. You have already the right ticket to take the metro from the airport to downtown Barcelona and back.
“Hola BCN!” Card – FAQ
If I buy a 3 day pass does it cover a full 72 hours from when I buy it?
You can start using your Hola BCN! card at any time of day and get all the advantages of unlimited travel over 48 (2 day card), 72 (3 day card), 96 (4 day card) or 120 hours (5 day card) as of the first use (validation).
Is there a child price or is it just a flat one price for all?
Children under four are not required to have a ticket. They travel free. Older children need a standard Hola BCN! card.
3) Barcelona Card: free travel on public transport + discount card for sightseeing
Ideal ticket for visitors, who want to discover the attractions of the city
With the “Barcelona Card” you can discover many of Barcelona’s cultural and leisure activities free or at a reduced price. It is a combination of a day ticket for local transport plus a discount card for entrance fees.
You can travel on public transport unlimited and free (even the metro line to and from the airport). You can save money with more than 80 discounts and time with skip the line entry at some attractions.
The Barcelona Card is issued by the official tourist office of the City of Barcelona and offers more than 85 advantages:
- Free or reduced admission for museums, aquarium, zoo…
- Skip the line entry for some attractions
- Free or reduced admission for events or tours (with guide) through the city
- Unlimited and free travel on public transport: city bus, metro (also airport route), tram, Renfe – trains (suburban train, zone 1), FGC-Bahn (suburban train, zone 1) – comparable to the “Hola BCN Card” see above
- For kids, aged 4 to 12, there’s the Barcelona Card Kids, which gives you all the advantages of the Barcelona Card for a significantly reduced price.
Buying the “Barcelona Card “ card – is it worth it?
Since the Barcelona Card contains numerous advantages for sightseeing & more, it is of course more expensive than the pure public transport card “Hola BCN”. But if you plan to visit some of the sights, the “Barcleona Card” can save time and money.
The “Barcelona Card” is available for for 72h, 96h or 120h (3, 4 or 5 consecutive days)
Prices for the Barcelona Card (2018):
3 days: 45 euros / 21 euros (adults / kids)
4 days: 55 euros / 27 euros (adults / kids)
5 days: 60 euros / 32 euros (adults / kids)
Save yourself time and stress, by buying the “Barcelona Card“ online – without extra any extra charge
After a long flight, you don’t have to deal with fare systems and ticket vending machines. You have already the right ticket to take the metro from the airport to downtown Barcelona and back.
4) 10 journey ticket „ATM T-10“
Cheaper than a single ticket – airport transfer is not possible
The T-10 card is valid for 10 journeys from 1 to 6 zones by metro, tram, suburban train (Rodalies) or bus. The 10-card “T-10” is suitable for you, if you have a longer stay in Barcelona with a rare use of the puclic transport. The trips can also be carried out by different persons. A ride with this ticket is cheaper than by a “single ticket”. The ticket “ATM T-10” currently costs (2018):
– for one zone 10.20 euros- for 2 zones 20.10 euros - for 3 zones 27.40 euros- for 4 zones 35.25 euros- for 5 zones 40.50 euros- for 6 zones 43.05 euros
It is available at the ticket vending machines and can’t be purchased online.
Specific regulations of the ATM T-10 ticket:
– The 10-ticket “ATM T-10” does not include the metro ride to or from the airport. An extra ticket (airport ticket – EUR 4.60 oneway) is necessary.
That is why many visitors buy the favourable day ticket “Hola BCN” (see above). This allows you to travel from and to the airport and use the Barcelona public transport for the chosen validity period (2-5 days).
– With a “ATM T-10” 1-zone ticket you have 75 minutes between the first and last validation when changing lines or mode of transport.
Overview: tickets & prices (2018)